This collection is comprised of hundreds of Native American arrowheads
and hammer heads that was gathered from mainly Dodge and surrounding counties. It was the
work of Charles Henderson (1847-1924), a respected Mayville citizen who served in the
Civil War. These artifacts were purchased from the Charles R. Henderson estate in 1927 by
C. W. Docter and Dr. R. A. Docter, both of Mayville. The Docters then donated the entire
collection to the Mayville Joint Free High School District in 1927 with stipulations that
the collection be placed on exhibit where it may be seen and examined; that it be kept in
proper cases and be identified as the Charles R. Henderson collection; and never be sold.