History of Building
In 1857-1858, after almost ten years' existence
in a small frame schoolhouse, the people of Mayville decided to build a larger school to
accommodate a growing population. A stone structure sixty by forty feet was erected, which
was at that time one of the finest school buildings in the state. White limestone used for
the building came from stone quarries at Farmersville, Knowles, and Browns Comers. E. J.
Foster was the first teacher in the new building.
||In 1876-1877, because of the still growing population due in large part
to the success of the local iron smelting industry, a seventy foot addition, nearly
identical in design to the original building, was added on the south end. Local mason
Friedrich Fischer was the master builder. A new pillared portico and cupola gave it a
grand statehouse appearance. The original school bell, donated by T. Sherin in 1857, was
moved to the new tower and rang out for many years. The original bell is now on display
inside the building.
Mayville's "White Limestone School" building was used as a
public school for 125 years, from 1857 to 1981. During part of that tenure (1880-1897),
the school housed children from kindergarten through high school. The first high school
principal was J. M. Turner. In 1883, Emma Garling, Addie Williams, and Rudolph Sauerhering
were graduated as the first high school class after a three-year course.
In 1968, due to its
deteriorated condition, the cupola was removed from the school. In 1997, 29 years later,
a replica of the that original cupola was restored to the building. It's 15 feet in
diameter, stands 35 feet tall, and "Old Glory" proudly flies once again from a
20-foot flag pole above the dome. The base is surrounded by a beautiful railing with 144
turned spindles. This restoration project was financed by the late Ted Bachhuber and has
been dedicated to his memory. Ted passed away march 3, 1997. The White Limestone School Building has been listed on the
National Registry of Historic Places since 1976.